Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Art of Experimenting

One of the best aspects of creating soap is the freedom to personalize each component of the recipe.


From the coloring,  to the fragrance, to the added botanicals, there are endless compositions you can create! If you give 100 soapmakers the exact same 10 ingredients, you’ll end up with 100 completely different styles and varieties of soap. It’s amazing how much artistry goes into creating soap.


I think this is what I love most about making soap!



I have been playing around with colors and textures.  Because soapmaking is basically chemistry - there is no way to know ahead of time how the soap will 'behave.'
When it goes through the gel phase, the soap heats up to 180 degrees! This can effect the coloring of soap, the scent and the texture.  When using pure essential oils it can decrease the scent.  When using skin-safe fragrance oils, it can change up how the final scent cures.  When using natural oxides for coloring it can affect the outcome or cause what are known as 'glycerin rivers.'

Glycerin Rivers - while not harmful - it's not visually pleasing!
This is what you DON'T want to happen to your soap!

I recently did a custom order for a local company.  We created a custom scent just for their customers.  I can't tell you how fun it was to work with these amazing folks and come up with a product that they loved and hopefully their customers will love. Creating scents and colors for custom orders really challenges me in a good way and allows me to play with all those wonderful aspect of creating beautiful soap.

I try to set aside time in my business to just play with the soap.  Making small batches and seeing how it will turn out.

As I continue to create fine handcrafted soap, it is always my hope to bring you the very best product available.




No comments:

Post a Comment